Firefighters dealing with a gas leak in Stratton have had to ask people to stop setting off fireworks.
Staff in Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service’s control room took to social networking site Twitter to issue the plea – after a number of fireworks were released near the leaking gas main in Oxford Road.
The emergency services have been at the scene since lunchtime after Swindon Borough Council contractors sliced through the gas main.
Due to the ongoing incident on Oxford Road, Swindon with the major gas leak, we are asking people in the local area to please NOT set off any more fireworks at the moment as this poses a huge risk to members of the public and our crews. Thank you.
— DWFireControl (@DWFireControl) October 30, 2020
Station Manager Matty Maggs, DWFRS’s hazardous materials specialist, told the Adver: “There’s a gas cloud in the area, which poses no risk to the public. However, to stop any ignition of that we request if anyone’s in the area they don’t let off any fireworks.”
Similarly, people living within around a quarter mile radius of the White Hart roundabout leak were asked not to have bonfires or barbecues until the gas main had been fixed.
Mr Maggs said it was hoped engineers from Wales and West Utilities would be able to repair the main within around two hours.
Around 10 firefighters from Stratton and Swindon fire stations are at the scene together with officers from Wiltshire Police.